30 Mar Interpreting after a Road Traffic Accident
Setting the scene
The situation concerned whether or not legal action or an insurance claim could be pursued by a potential claimant against a third party.
It related to a road traffic accident which occurred in the UK and which involved a UK-based non-English speaking driver/rider (the potential claimant).
This person had unfortunately sustained injury/ies in the accident and the extent of this needed to be ascertained during a consultation with an English-only-speaking medical expert.
Turkish and English.
- Understanding the spoken language of the driver/rider (first party).
- Transferring that target language into competent, well-paced, spoken English.
- Court expertise in interpreting in both languages
- Analysis and record of physical or psychological injury/ies.
- Location for the meeting for the three individuals.
- Sourcing an interpreter close to the meeting location.
- The customer arranged a medical diagnosis to be carried out by a GP/clinician at a suitable medical centre near to where the first party lived.
- They contracted SEL Business Languages who have a national database of professionally qualified interpreters.
- SEL Business Languages (SELBL) then provided a Turkish-English interpreter local to the premises who attended the meeting and interpreted consecutively into and out of English.
- In this way the medical specialist was able to assess/discuss the injuries/symptoms and record them in written English.
- The subsequent report was then analysed by the customer to decide on whether to recommend or reject a claim.
At SEL Business Languages we have a vast network of professionally trained interpreters experienced in a wide range of subjects, including legal and medical. Get in touch to discuss your requirements.